Your First Visit
Your first visit to the orthodontist is quite similar to a normal dental check up.
The orthodontist will count your teeth, take notes on the current position of your teeth and assess if you need any braces and also whether you might be eligible for NHS funded orthodontic treatment. At your first appointment the orthodontist will also talk to you about what you like or dislike about your teeth.
If you need to have braces then the orthodontist will explain to you what type of braces you may need. It is your choice whether you want to have braces and that decision does not have to be made at your first visit.
If you want to have braces then the orthodontist will collect some information about your teeth which will help make a suitable treatment plan for you.
This will include:
- Dental impressions: this is a mould of your mouth using soft putty which will give the orthodontist an imprint of your teeth. From this mould a plaster model of your teeth is made.
- Dental Radiographs (x-rays): these help us to see whether you have any more teeth still to come through, any extra teeth and whether all your teeth are healthy enough to have braces.
- Dental photographs: these are a standard set of colour photographs of both your teeth and facial structure. These help your orthodontist see the health of the tooth surfaces and surrounding gums and also the shape of your face and jaws.
All the information collected is private and remains part of your medical records.
- We will ensure that you receive high quality treatment.
- We will continually train and develop our dentists and nurses so that we always offer the highest quality dental care.
- We will use the latest techniques and best materials available.
- We will be compliant with all cross infection guidelines.
- We will listen and endeavour to respond quickly and efficiently to any concerns you may have regarding your dental treatment.
In return we ask you that:
- Attend your appointments on-time.
- Pay for your treatments as requested.
- Talk to us, we value your feedback and comments.
- Please give us 24 hours notice if, for any reason you need to cancel your appointment.
- Help us to expand our practice by recommending us to your family and friends.